Cauliflower Baked Ziti
1 hour and 10 minutes
1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
pinch red pepper flakes
1 lb. ground organic bison
Freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp. tomato paste
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 (28-oz.) can crushed tomatoes
2 tbsp. thinly sliced basil, plus more for garnish
2 medium heads cauliflower, cut into florets, roasted
1 1/2 c. fresh ricotta
2 c. shredded mozzarella
1/2 c. freshly grated Parmesan
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, heat oil.
- Add onion and cook, stirring often, until onion is soft, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and red pepper flakes and cook for one minute.
- Add meat and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook until no longer pink, 6 minutes.
- Drain fat.
- Return saucepan over medium heat and add tomato paste and oregano.
- Cook for 2 minutes more, until slightly darkened.
- Add crushed tomatoes and bring sauce to a simmer, reduce heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly reduced and flavors have melded, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in basil.
- In a large bowl, pour sauce over cauliflower and stir to combine.
- In a large baking dish, place half the cauliflower in an even layer.
- Dollop all over with half the ricotta, and sprinkle with half the mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Add remaining cauliflower in an even layer on top, and top with remaining cheeses.
- Bake until the cheese is melty and golden, 28 minutes.
- Garnish with basil before serving.
Back to Recipes